Making NOT Gates From Other Logic Gates
1. Down load the "Making NOT Gates From Other Logic Gates" Simulation and run it by pressing this button:
2. The simulation will have seven panels of different gates with switches connected to them a bit like in the Basic Gates tutorial.
The first panel at the top has a standard NOT gate to remind you of the behaviour of a NOT gate. Switch the input switch to observe the behaviour.
3. Next there are two panels, a shorted out NAND and NOR gate like below. Operate the switch to observe the behaviour. You will notice that they behave in the same way as a NOT gate. So by shorting out NAND and NOR gates, it is possible to produce NOT gates.
4. Operate the switches on the next two panels gate configurations to observe another way of making NOT gates out of NAND and NOR gates. If you make one of the inputs of a NAND gate constantly set to 1 the other variable input will get inverted. The same is done with a NOR gate but with one of the inputs in this case set to 0.
5. The final two panels in this simulation have an EXOR and EXNOR gate. These can be converted in to NOT gates in the same way as the NAND and NOR gates. The EXOR gate is configured in the same way as the NAND gate and the EXNOR gate is configured in the same way as the NOR gate. Operate the switches to observe the behaviour.
Back to Introduction
Richard Bigwood 2005